When you think about patchwork you might think on those quilts make with squares, easy to make and always looks cozy, today I’ll share with you a full tutorial to make a pouch with squares.
An easy tutorial to follow, its step by step will help you to make a cute and easy to sew pouch.
This pouch is easy and fun to make for beginners and advanced quilters.
If you’re a beginner and you think quilts are complicated to make, I would like to tell you that some quilts are easy to make, you all need to do is to follow the steps to make one and you’ll learn the basis techniques, then you’ll be ready to try something more complicate.
This tutorial has the basis steps to make first a mini quilt, from it you all need to do a few more sew to sew together the sides of the mini quilt, add a zipper and your first pouch will be finished.
Another good thing about making a pouch with patchwork is the point that you can use some fabric you already have in your stash of fabric and many times after being doing some quilts for a time, you might have some little squares already cut on it.
You can make this pouch on the color you prefer to make it, this time I wanted to make something with a new color combination for me: grey and yellow.
Material you need to make a patchwork pouch.
I added this time some affiliate links to show you what tools I have at home to help me to work on my patchwork projects in an easier way, these affiliate links will take you to amazon.ca if you need to buy some new tools to make your patchwork projects, you will pay the regular price and I will recieve a small % of the price, this will help me to keep working on new projects to share them here on my blog. I thank you for your support.
24 squares of 2 1/2 x 2 1/2″ on two different fabric, or color of prints.
1 piece of thin batting fabric 10 x 14″
1 piece of cotton 100 % fabric for the inside 10 x 14″
1 piece of cotton 100 % for the bias 1 1/4 x 44″
12 small buttons
1 zipper 8″
Tools I use to make my patchwork and quilting projects, you can check the price on amazon.
How to make a patchwork pouch
You can watch the video here, it’s in Spanish; I will write the step by step in English for you below.
If you like the video, please like it, comment and share it, so more quilters and people who love patchwork can watch it.
1. With the help of your ruler and your rotatory cutter cut the squares of fabric for this project.
2. Sew 6 lines of 4 squares each one, press.
3. Sew line to make the top of a mini quilt. Press.
4. Fold the mini quilt in half and with the help of your ruler, mark down a square of 1 x 1″ on each side of the fold.
5. With your scissors cut out the square you marked on the top.
6. Prepare the sandwich for the quilt.
Place the batting fabric first, place the fabric for the inside on the batting fabric right side looking up, place the top for the mini quilt over the fabric for the inside right side looking down.
7. You can place some pins to hold the three layers of fabric on its place while you sew.
Sew all around the top of the mini quilt, 1/4″ seam, don’t forget to leave 2″ space open to turn it out.
8. Trim the batting fabric and the fabric for the inside, follow the top of the mini quilt.
9. With your scissors make some little cuts on the inside corners.
10. Cut the three layers of fabric in diagonal on the outside corners.
11. Turn out the mini quilt.
12. Close the mini quilt.
13. Do some quilting.
I love to do hand quilting on almost all my patchwork projects, but if you want to do the quilting by machine, I know it will be beautiful as well.
14. Sew one button on each point where four squares meet.
15. Sew one side of the zipper on one side of the pouch. I also did it by hand, and I recommend to do it by hand on this project too.
16. Sew the other side of the zipper on the other side of the pouch.
17. Sew by hand both sides of the pouch.
18. Turn out the pouch.
19. Press the fabric for the bias.
With a needle and thread, sew running stitches in diagonal all the long of the bias.
20. Pull out the thread to gather the bias, pull it out gently to avoid breaking the thread.
Gather the bias gently.
21. Fold one of the ends of the bias and do some stitches to applique it on the top of the pouch.
Keep doing some small stitches to do the applique of the bias all the way on the pouch.
When you reach the end of the other side of the pouch, fold the fabric again and do some stitches to finish it.
22. You can make a tassel with some DMC embroidery floss in the zipper, when you do this, it will add something to help you to open and close the zipper easier.
Well, your new pouch is finished and I’m sure you did a great job!!
If you want to show it to me, you can add a picture of it on a comment on my fans page on Facebook Alejandra’s QuiltStudio.
If you have any question about this tutorial, leave a comment below or on Facebook so I can reply to you.
You can read here also:
If you like this tutorial, share it!!