Patchwork Coin Purse With Exterior Pocket is an easy step by step tutorial for beginners and more advanced quilters.
When you love to sew, and make your own quilts, from time to time, it’s good to have a small project to make, and making a cute coin purse with the Friendship star quilt block is something you don’t want to miss.
Whether you make it for yourself, to keep your money and other important things well organized, I’m sure you see how easy it is to make, and you’ll be making more than one.
So let’s jump to the tutorial
Patchwork Coing Purse With Exterior Pocket
The first thing to do, it’s to make the Friendship Quilt block, but you can use any other quilt block pattern or a piece of a pretty fabric to make the coin purse.
You will need to cut 13 squares of fabric from 3 different fabrics (A,B,C) the same size of 2 1/4 x 2 1/4 inches.
- 8 pieces of fabric A
- 1 piece of fabric B (Center)
- 4 pieces of fabric C
1. How to make the Friendship Star Quilt Block
Lay on your work table the 8 pieces of fabric A and the piece of fabric B. Lay over 4 pieces of fabric A the 4 pieces of fabric C, follow the layout from the image, pretty sides together.
2. Sew on the 4 pieces with two pieces of fabric. On the back of each piece of fabric C, trace a line from one corner to the other corner, and sew on your sewing machine, open the fabric to check if the fabric C, covers well the fabric A, if it does, you can trim the seam allowance to 1/4 inch. If the piece of fabric C doesn’t covers well the piece of fabric A, you will need to take off all the stitching on that piece and sew on again.
3. Lay all the pieces again on your work table, and pin the three pieces for each strip, top strip, strip in the middle and bottom line, sew on each strip, remove the pins and press.
4. Sew on the three strips to make the Friendship Star Quilt Block, press.
5. Cut the two pieces of fabric needed to make the Coin Purse piece.
- 1 piece of fabric A of 6 x 6 1/4 inches (D)
- 1 piece of fabric A of 11/4 x 6 inches (E)
Sew on the piece E to one side of the Friendship Star Block, press, and sew on the piece D, press.
6. Cut one piece of fabric for the lining of 7 x 12 inches and cut a piece of thin batting fabric same size.
Lay on your work table the batting fabric, lay over it the piece of fabric for the lining, pretty side up, and lay over it the patchwork block you made, pretty side up, pin the three pieces together, and sew on your sewing machine the top and the bottom, 1/4 seam allowance.
Trim the seam allowance, and turn the piece out, flat the seams on the top and bottom, pinch a few safety pins.
7. You can do the quilting by hand or with your sewing machine.
8. Sew one piece of fabric (6 1/2 x 1 1/2 inches)to one side of the zipper (6 inches), open the piece of fabric and do a top stitching.
9. Stitch on the zipper to the quilted piece on the top of the Friendship Star. This step can be done by hand or on your sewing machine.
10. Cut one piece of fabric of 7 x 12 1/2 inches, any fabric you want to use, it will be the coin purse inside, cut one piece of fabric A of 7 x 2 inches, sew on the two pieces of fabric together, pretty side together, 1/4 inch seam allowance. Open and press.
Turn to the back the small piece, fold the edge 1/4 inch to the back, and sew on to the bigger piece.
11. Lay the piece you just made on your work table, pretty side down, and lay over it the quilted piece, pretty side down, match the edge where the zipper is and the edge with no piece of fabric A, sew on your sewing machine, open and press.
Top stitching 1/4 inch from the edge.
12. Lay the piece on your work table, pretty side up, and make a quilting stiching on two places to hold the two pieces together to make the two exterior pockets, this step can be done also on your sewing machine.
I did one quilting stitching on the line between strip 2 and 3 on the Friendship star quilt block, and the second stitching one 1/4 inch from the stitching on the middle of the whole piece.
When the two quilting stitches are done, you can see how well the two exterior pockets are made. Lay again the piece on your work table, and fold the piece in the middle and match both edges, pinch a few pins to hold the piece folded sew on both sides of the coin purse on your sewing machine, Trim the seam to 1/4 inch.
To give the coin purse a professional finish, you can do a zigzag stitching, on both side seams, or you can do this step with overlock stitching, or you can sew on a piece of bias to cover each side seam.
13. Sew on a Zipper on the coin purse opening, it can be done by hand or on your sewing machine.
Turn out the coin purse, push out both corners on the bottom with your fingers, and the coin purse is finished and it looks amazing!
This patchwork tutorial has a few steps to follow, but I hope you enjoy the fun of making it.
Thanks so much for reading my patchwork and quilting blog!