Quilt Block Of The Month – June – is an easy to make hand applique block, beginners and advanced quilters would love to make!
June is here and our yard looks so happy this month, wherever you look at, you will see lots of flowers, Delphinium, Iris, Day lily, Lavender, Dahlia, and many more.
Our yard has inspired me to design a block with some flowers on it, but also a couple of bees, as they help plants to have the most beautiful bloom anytime!
Quilt Block Of The Month June
Materials and Supplies
- One block for the BOM Quilt, with the four borders, you can find more information about the size and how to make it here.
- Cotton 100% fabric on different color and prints for the hand applique
- Hand stitching needle
- Hand stitching thread
- Embroidery floss – DMC Mouline in medium gray or brown
- Quilt Block Of The Month – June. FREE pattern
Related: Best Quilter’s Tools.
Quilt Block Of The Month June, Step by Step Tutorial
Download the free pattern and make an extra copy from it, so you can cut out all the paper templates to make the Block Of The Month – June, and save the extra copy, in case you want to make it later again.
1 – Cut All Your Fabric Pieces
On this step, you will prepare all the different fabric pieces to make this block of the month.
You’ll be working on different methods to prepare the fabric pieces for the hand applique:
- Mark the paper template on the pretty side of the fabric with a pencil for fabrics, and add the 1/4 inch for the seam when you cut out each piece.
- Place the paper template on the back of the piece of fabric, and pinch a pin. Cut out the piece with your scissors, follow the shape of each template and add 1/4 inch for the seam. Make a running stitch on the edge of the fabric, and pull out the thread to gather the seam.
- Place the paper template on the back of the piece of fabric, cut out each piece by following the shape of each piece and don’t forget to add the 1/4 inch for the seam, glue the seam to the back of the paper template.
2 – How To Do The Hand Applique On the Block Of The Month – June
You can trace the layout for this block, by putting under the block the pattern, and trace the block with a pencil on the fabric. You can do this step by using a light box or with the old method of tapping the block and the pattern on a window.
But if you don’t want to trace the pattern on the block, you can do the same as I did on the video, put the pattern under the block, and arrange all the pieces in their places on the block, pinch one or two pins to hold each piece on its place.
When all the pieces are arranged on the block, you can make some running stitches on each piece, and then you can remove all the pins.
By removing all the pins from the applique pieces and holding each piece with running stitches, it will help you to work easier on the applique.
Now, you can work on the hand applique.
3 – How To Do The Buttonhole Stitch On The Quilt Block Of The Month – June
Once you get all the applique done, it’s time to work on the buttonhole stitching on each piece, I know, it will take some time to work on it, but it is worth all the work!
Work on the buttonhole stitching with a single thread on your needle, make small stitches and every piece will look better!
4 – It’s Time To Work On the Embroidery On the Quilt Block Of The Month – June
This time there is not much to do on the embroidery.
- Backstitch – stem
- Buttonhole stitch –
- Satin stitch – bee’s eyes
For better results, work on the embroidery with a single thread on your needle and do small stitches.
The Quilt Block Of The Month for June is finished and it looks so pretty!
This is block #6 and the Quilt Block Of The Month is half-way!
I know this block has a lot of work to do the hand applique, but you have a whole month to work on it, while I start working on the block for July, thinking about Summer and something we all love to do when weather is warm and nice!
I hope you have a lot of fun working to make this block, as I did!
Don’t forget to get all the tutorials to make the first blocks for this Quilt!
Don’t forget to follow me on my Social Media, and you can share a photo from your blocks on Facebook on a comment, I would love to see your work!
- Facebook – Alejandra’s Quilt Studio
- Instagram – alebalanzario.patchwork
Puedes leer este mismo tutorial pero en espanol en el blog de Ale Cose y Cose .com
Thanks so much for sharing my blog on your Social Media
Read more tutorials to make the BOM Quilt 2021
- Quilt Block Of The Month – May –
- Quilt Block Of The Month – April –
- Quilt Block Of The Month – January –
Watch the video for the Quilt Block of the Month June here: